The aim of this exercise is to devise and use a photographic workflow for a portrait session, consisting of at least 20 images. The session needs to be limited in time and at a location that provides an attractive or unobtrusive setting.
Over time i’ve developed a workflow without even realising it. It’s somewhat of a ritual. After choosing a location and subject:
- The night before I charge both my primary and secondary battery, and format my memory card.
- I also pack my bag with all the equipment necessary (there’s nothing worse than carrying around a heavy pack pack full of bits I don’t need for a particular shoot.)
- If needs be I research the type of style I want to create, or poses I want to incorporate.
Once at location the following happens:
- refer to LCD screen to look for any major issues, i.e exposure, focus, iso settings. (I don’t concentrate too much on the LCD image as I find you can’t really judge the shot until you see it later on a big screen.) So any major setting tweaks get done now.
- Re-shoot, change angles, positions, add or subtract equipment etc and get a wide variety of shots
- Upload all images to a labelled folder on my mac. (sometimes a client name, or location and date)
- Delete any horrors! (Out of focus, blurry etc)
- Upload file to Dropbox so I have a cyber copy (I learnt the hard way and lost everything in the previous module)
- Format memory card
- Return to Mac file
- Flag images green for strong
- Flag images orange for ‘possibles’
- Select the favourites, name them, and add data info in photoshop.
- Open files for editing, colour correction etc.
As the handbook requests – I have set a time limit of 20 mins. So now all that is left to do is find a ‘model’ and start snapping…
I encountered several problems with this exercise; the first being that my location (graffiti wall) was in a park right besides a basketball court. As this was an arranged shoot with my model we had agreed on a time and had allocated 20 mins for the shoot, at exactly the same time as a basketball match was set to start. Instead of getting in the way and making a nuisance of myself i took the decision to shorten the shoot to ten minutes and crack on.
We could have re-scheduled but in the real world you have to make do with the situation you are in, and more importantly, i was the one who had set this up so it fell on me.So with literally 10 minutes and counting i positioned my model in a variety of poses and snapped away, following the steps mentioned above.
It was a beautiful morning and the sun was shining bright…(to my annoyance) as bright direct sunshine is not the best for photographing in. the sun was directly shining from the left of the wall, limiting my angles. I could either shoot with the sun or against the sun.
Below are the final pics I chose:
The strong sunshine hindered my results slightly as my model was sometimes squinting, and some of the pictures are slightly over exposed. I wanted to keep the colours of the wall at a good exposure and this resulted in some washed out tones.
However, this was a huge learning curve and made me realise that it is imperative to check back to the lcd screen to make adjustments.